2019 Oakland Women’s March, Saturday, Jan. 19
Jan 9, 2019
The Women’s March Oakland 2019 will flood the streets with a wave of women and their allies from the East Bay and beyond, joining more than 130 chapters across the country in hosting rallies on the anniversary of the historic Women’s March.
The march will be begin at 10 a.m. with a rally at the Lake Merritt Amphitheater, followed by a march down 14th Street to Frank Ogawa (Oscar Grant) Plaza. Lake Merritt is the BART station closest to the march’s starting point.
At this nonpartisan, peaceful event on the Saturday before Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, the march organizers proclaim their commitment, in Scott King’s words, to “create new homes, new communities, new cities, a new nation. Yea, a new world, which we desperately need!”
Speakers at the event will include Alicia Garza, Arushi Avachat, Rep. Barbara Lee, Hai Yan Wu, Kimberly Ellis, Nikki Fortunato Bas and Stacey Milbern.
The following are guidelines for participants:
- We will not use violence (physical or verbal) towards any person.
- We will not destroy or damage property.
- We will promote a tone of respect, honesty, transparency and accountability in our actions.
- We will not carry anything that can be construed as a weapon, nor possess (or consume) any alcohol or drugs.
- We are nonpartisan and will use Women’s March Oakland primarily to express our support for women’s rights and human rights in our communities and the country.
- We will all hold each other accountable to respecting these agreements.
For more information, go to https://womensmarchoakland.org/